It’s almost time to dance, sing, and all that jazz because the annual New Mexico Jazz Festival is returning to both Santa Fe and Albuquerque in July! Celebrating its 11th year in 2016, this highly anticipated festival brings together two major cities in New Mexico for a celebration that includes world-renowned artists, jazz masters and a whole lot of music. With both cities just minutes from Casa Escondida in Chimayo, NM, it’s easy for you to enjoy a day’s or an evening’s worth of music and fun in either location before returning to our bed and breakfast for a fantastic night’s rest.
New Mexico Jazz Festival Activities
This year’s festival features a broad lineup of jazz artists over a two-week span. This variety means there will be something for everyone, from those who love classic jazz music to those who don’t know much about this iconic genre but enjoy music in general. Either way, the festival is an incredible event featuring only the best jazz performers from all over the world. The 2016 lineup is as follows:
- Friday, July 15, 8 p.m., Albuquerque Jazz Orchestra with Hillary Smith – Kick-Off for Route 66 Summerfest (Hiland Theater, ABQ)
- Saturday, July 16, 2-10:30 p.m., Route 66 Summerfest: Booker T and his Stax Soul & Blues Revue; Nikki Hill; + 15 local groups on 4 Stages (Nob Hill, ABQ)
- Sunday, July 17, 11-1 p.m., Jazz Brunches (Nob Hill Mainstreet restaurants, ABQ)
- Wednesday, July 20, 6 p.m., Pedrito Martinez Group (St. John’s College, Music on the Hill Series)
- Thursday and Friday, July 21 & 22, 8 p.m., Pedrito Martinez Group (Outpost Performance Space, ABQ)
- Saturday, July 23, 1-4 p.m., Django Festival Allstars (Old Town Plaza, ABQ)
- Sunday, July 24, 7:30 p.m., Dave Holland Trio (with Kevin Eubanks, Obed Calvaire) and special guest, Chris Potter (Lensic, Santa Fe )
- Tuesday, July 26, 6 p.m., Santa Fe Bandstand: GINKGOA
- Thursday, July 28 8 p.m., Mark Weaver – A Tribute to the Roost Creative Music Series (Outpost Performance Space, ABQ)
- Friday, July 29, 2 p.m., Meet the Artist: Retired NEA Deputy Chairman AB Spellman with NEA Jazz Master Charles Lloyd (Lensic, Santa Fe)
- Friday, July 29, 7:30 p.m., NEA Jazz Master Charles Lloyd New Quartet featuring Jason Moran, Reuben Rogers, Eric Harland. A Tribute to Judith McBean (Lensic, Santa Fe)
- Saturday, July 30, 7:30 p.m., Dr. Lonnie Smith’s Evolution (Lensic, Santa Fe)
- Sunday, July 31, 7:30 p.m., Lisa Fisher & Grand Baton (Lensic, Santa Fe)
New Mexico Jazz Workshop
If you are a true fan of jazz, you’ll also want to check out the New Mexico Jazz Workshop Summer Concert Series in June! This professional organization is committed to providing unlimited access to a higher quality of life through education and performance. Some of the bands that will be performing at this event will be Ivon Ulibarri & Cafe Mocha, Combo Unico, Albuquerque Jazz Orchestra/Big Sol Band, and Calle 66!
Enjoy The New Mexico Jazz Festival and More During Your Stay With Casa Escondida
After you’ve had the chance to dance and sing to your heart’s content at the New Mexico Jazz Festival, come back to Casa Escondida and experience true Southwestern hospitality. Our Santa Fe area bed and breakfast offers a secluded countryside feel yet we are conveniently located to the area’s historical sites, ancient ruins, National Parks, and more! Take a look at our uniquely themed suites and our specials to find out how you can save on your next vacation!