Winter isn’t too far away, which means that ski season is just around the corner, too! If you’re looking for some of the best skiing in New Mexico this winter, you’ll want to consider staying at our charming Bed and Breakfast, located midway between two of the best: Ski Santa Fe and Taos.
Skiing in New Mexico is actually somewhat of an undiscovered treasure – and that’s part of what makes ski vacations here so delightful! There are several mountains with elevations of 12,000 feet or higher and acre upon acre of skiable terrain for all levels of ability. The snow here is dry and powdery, too – every skier’s dream! Add to all of this the endless blue skies, and you’ll soon see why skiing in New Mexico is considered to be some of the best skiing in the country.
the only thing that beats enjoying some of the best skiing in New Mexico is staying at the state’s best Bed and Breakfast, Casa Escondida Bed and Breakfast. Our rustic yet luxurious Inn is located between Santa Fe and Taos, offering our guests 6 acres of space to enjoy while exploring the best of northern New Mexico. Visit us this winter, and enjoy some of the best skiing in New Mexico! Book a room at our Northern New Mexico Bed and Breakfast today!
Where to Find The Best Skiing in New Mexico
When it comes to finding the best skiing in New Mexico, you have plenty of options! There are at least 8 resorts located in northern New Mexico, within relatively easy driving distance from our Bed and Breakfast. That means you can easily hop around from one ski resort to the next, enjoying a truly diverse and interesting ski vacation!
The ski season in New Mexico is generally long, too. It usually starts in mid-December and extends through at least mid-March. It’s relatively affordable, too, especially when compared with top ski destinations like those to the north of us in Colorado. You also won’t find the long lift-lines that can be encountered at these big resorts, which means more time on the slopes for you!
Everyone is bound to have a different definition of what qualifies as the best skiing in New Mexico. However, in terms of what the mountains offer and their relative popularity with locals and visitors alike, there are a few places that stand out far above the rest. Here’s what we consider to be the 5 places that offer the best skiing in New Mexico:
- At the top of our list for the best skiing in New Mexico is Taos Ski Valley. Not only is it the largest ski resort in New Mexico, but it’s considered by many to be one of the best. It offers plenty of old-school skiing charm, with modern amenities such as a high-speed quad chair, a “gondolita,” and a revitalized base area. It’s a great place to challenge yourself, with more than half of their 100 runs rated as intermediate or expert.
- If Taos seems a bit too challenging for you, a good option nearby is Angel Fire, which offers many beginner and intermediate-level runs. They also have some great terrain parks, making this an excellent choice for snowboarders.
- Ski Santa Fe is another great place for skiing in New Mexico. It’s only 16 miles from downtown Santa Fe, making this ski resort incredibly easy to access for a relaxing day of fun on the slopes. The views from the top are pretty amazing, too, as in the scenery as you head down any one of their 86 runs.
- Ski Apache offers some of the best powder skiing in New Mexico. There are 11 lifts and 55 runs here, which provides more than enough skiing. It’s also one of the most affordable places to ski in New Mexico!
- Pajarito is another gem when it comes to the best skiing in New Mexico. While you’re skiing here, you’ll enjoy breathtaking views of the Rio Grande Valley and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. The ski season here is often a bit longer, too, starting in November and extending through April.
Of course, these 5 resorts aren’t the only great place to ski – there truly are plenty of choices when it comes to the best skiing in New Mexico. Other resorts to consider include Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort and Sandia Peak, the oldest New Mexico ski resort.
Warm-up at our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast
Winter at our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast is magical. Even if you don’t plan to enjoy some of the best skiing in New Mexico, you can still appreciate the stunning beauty of Nothern New Mexico’s mountains from right here at our Bed and Breakfast. Our Inn is nestled on 6 tranquil acres and offers awe-inspiring views of the Sangre de Cristo and Jemez Mountain ranges. They are beautiful year-round, but especially so in the winter.
We offer 9 comfortable guest rooms, each of which is outfitted with its own traditional New Mexican flair, right along with all the modern amenities you crave. Select rooms also offer traditional Kiva fireplaces, which are delightful after a long day on the slopes. In the morning, we’ll fuel you up for your days’ skiing adventure with a delicious, freshly made breakfast.
Unique accommodations, delicious breakfasts, exceptional hospitality, and none of the crowds of larger resorts and hotels. It’s no wonder people continue to return to our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast for their annual ski trips. Start planning your season, and book a room at our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast today!