Though many people come to New Mexico throughout the year to seek its sunny, warm climate, you’re missing out on something special if you don’t visit during the winter. Not only are there plenty of things to do in New Mexico in the winter, but it’s far less crowded at this time of year and exceptionally beautiful.
Of course, there’s no better place to enjoy all the top-rated things to do in New Mexico in the winter than our charming Bed and Breakfast, located in the rural, art-driven town of Chimayó. We’re located on the gorgeous High Road to Taos, almost equidistnant between Santa Fe and Taos – offering you the perfect centralized location from which to enjoy all of the best things to do in New Mexico in the winter.
Whether you’re an avid fan of outdoor snowsports or would prefer to spend your time idling in the top-rated Santa Fe museums, there are more than enough things to do in Santa Fe this winter. We’d love to be your home base for all of it, situated as we are between the two top winter destinations in the state. Our Bed and Breakfast offers a restful, calming retreat with traditional New Mexican hospitality, an experience that is far different – and better – than anything you’d experience at a traditional hotel.
There truly is no better place to relax, unwind, and immerse yourself in the breathtaking winter landscapes of northern New Mexico. Book your room at our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast today!
8 Things to do in New Mexico in the Winter
With well over 300 annual days of gorgeous, sunny skies, it’s no surprise that New Mexico is a veritable playground for outdoor enthusiasts. There are vast expanses of protected wilderness here, perfect for those looking for hiking, biking, and more. It’s also probably not surprising, then, that there are just as many things to do in New Mexico in the winter when these landscapes change shape and offer even more limitless options for outdoor enjoyment.
However, just as with the rest of the year, there are so many more things to do in New Mexico in the winter that don’t involve being cold in the snow. Whether you want to get away and enjoy a relaxing change of scenery this winter or you’re looking for a great home base so you can get out and explore, there’s nothing better than a winter retreat at our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast. Below, we’ve listed a few of our favorite recommendations for things to do in New Mexico in the winter.
- Go skiing at Taos Ski Valley or one of the other fantastic New Mexico ski resorts this winter. Skiing and snowboarding are two of the most popular things to do in New Mexico in the winter.
- Skiing isn’t the only way to enjoy New Mexico’s winter wonderland. Many of the state’s top hiking trails are also perfect for snowshoeing in the winter, and it’s another of the most popular things to do in New Mexico in the winter. Here’s a great resource for finding your next great winter snowshoe. Valles Caldera National Preserve is one of our favorites!
- You can also enjoy some fun racing around on the snowmobiling trails in Carson National Forest – another great place for snowshoeing and even cross-country skiing.
- If you don’t love playing in the snow, you can still admire the dramatic winter beauty of New Mexico’s mountains by visiting the Sandia Peak Tramway – easily one of the most beautiful things to do in New Mexico in the winter!
- If you want to keep warm and out of the elements, then one of the best things to do in New Mexico in the winter is to visit all of the amazing Santa Fe museums! The state is far less crowded at this time of year, leaving you more time to explore and enjoy these magnificent cultural centers even more.
- While you’re in town, don’t miss your chance to dine at the top Santa Fe restaurants and enjoy the one-of-a-kind flavors this city is known for. Again, with fewer crowds in town, more of the city’s top tables will be open and ready for you to dine in style!
- Do you need a little restorative time in New Mexico’s most healing waters? Head to one of these amazing New Mexico hot springs, including the much-heralded Ojo Caliente Mineral Hot Springs. This is one of the most healing things to do in New Mexico in the winter.
- If you’re in town this January, attend the annual WinterBrew Fest in Santa Fe. Otherwise, spend a day or two sampling the area’s top breweries or wineries.
The Best Bed and Breakfast in Northern New Mexico
While you’re enjoying all of these truly fantastic things to do in New Mexico in the winter, you’ll need a place to call your home away from home. There’s simply no place better than our top-rated New Mexico Bed and Breakfast, located in the charming town of Chimayó. We offer a range of comfortable and well-appointed guest rooms and the attentive, personal attention you crave while traveling. We offer just nine guest rooms, meaning you won’t be surrounded by big crowds here, so you’ll leave feeling refreshed and fully relaxed from your travels.
When you stay with us, it’s all about personal and attentive service. That starts from the moment you wake up in the morning with our freshly brewed coffee and selection of teas. From there, you’ll delight in the mouthwatering aromas wafting from the kitchen before sitting down to a delicious Southwest-inspired breakfast made fresh for you daily. It’s a great way to fuel up as you get ready to enjoy all of the many things to do in New Mexico in the winter!
We’re centrally located and within easy driving distance of Santa Fe and Taos and all of the top attractions in northern New Mexico, but we’re equally as happy to host you here in our cozy accommodations for the day, curling up with your favorite book and soaking up the natural beauty of our rural village. Winter is a truly remarkable time to visit northern New Mexico, and we’d love to be your host for all of it. Book your winter getaway with us today!