Looking for things to do in Santa Fe? Winter in Northern New Mexico is truly beautiful whatever the weather — depending on the day or the elevation, you may be looking at clear roads and trails and stunning sunlight, or you may be looking at deep snow perfect for skiing or snowshoeing. And with visitors limited to mostly outdoor options, for the time being, it’s a perfect time to embrace the scintillating and stark natural beauty of the greater Santa Fe area at this special time of year.
And there’s no better place to begin and end each day of finding things to do in Santa Fe than at our Northern New Mexico Bed and Breakfast, close to Santa Fe, with its awe-inspiring views of the Jemez and Sangre de Cristo mountain ranges.
We’ll start you off right in the morning with a hearty and delicious three-course breakfast of Southwest-inspired dishes, and help you wind down with a great night’s sleep in a comfortable queen bed in a spacious guest room appointed with traditional New Mexican decor. Start filling out a list of things to do in Santa Fe, and reserve your room today at our New Mexico Bed and Breakfast today.
6 Great Things to do in Santa Fe This Winter
Whether you just want to get away and enjoy a relaxing change of scenery while we take care of you at our bed and breakfast, or you want to get out and explore a bit, there’s nothing better than a wintry getaway to Santa Fe. This winter, while many of the town’s top museums are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, is a perfect time to get outside and take advantage of northern New Mexico’s wide-open landscapes and abundance of outdoor recreation.
Fresh, clean mountain air has never been so appealing as it is now! And, when you do make the journey to this beautiful part of the world, here are some suggestions for making a list of things to do in Santa Fe this late fall and beyond:
- Ski Santa Fe. With a base elevation of 10,350 feet, this location, a short hop from Sant Fe, offers a family-friendly experience for all ski levels. Cruise the groomers or explore the extensive gladed runs. Make sure to plan in advance, as space and tickets to the mountain will be limited this year.
- Day hikes. Any list of things to do in Santa Fe should include a hike. Santa Fe is a favorite hiking destination for visitors. Nestled at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the area has accessible all-season terrain, beautiful views, and varied routes to suit people of all ages and abilities. Here are some more recommended routes.
- Day drives. If the snows hold off, the stark beauty of New Mexico’s high desert during the last gasp of changing fall color makes for gorgeous outings from the warmth of your vehicle.
- Bandelier National Monument. These 33,000 acres of rugged but beautiful canyon and mesa country offer evidence of a human presence going back more than 11,000 years. Petroglyphs, dwellings carved into the soft rock cliffs, and standing masonry walls can be found.
- Santa Fe National Forest. There’s plenty of great winter hiking within this 2,145-square-mile expanse, which includes some dizzying peaks with dazzling near-panoramic views. Here are some of the most popular trails.
- Pecos National Historic Park. Among serene woodlands of juniper, piñon, and ponderosa, you can explore the many trails within this remarkable regional treasure. This 7,000-acre gem contains a unique and captivating history stretching back 7,000 years.
*Much of the Santa Fe area has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, so please check that any attractions are open before you travel.
Where to Stay When Finding Things to Do in Santa Fe
Before or after you check off your list of things to do in Santa Fe, check out all that’s going on in the backyard of our Northern New Mexico Bed and Breakfast. There’s the Santuario de Chimayo, a spiritual destination and photographer’s dream, right in our backyard. And that’s not all there is to do and see in the town of Chimayo. Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway for your sweetheart, an extended family vacation, a weekend escape for two, or even a private retreat just for you, you’ll appreciate our convenient location and unique amenities. It’s everything you need and more for the best New Mexico getaways you’ll always remember.
Want to add an extra special touch to your New Mexico getaways? Take a look at our vacation packages and specials to find the perfect extras and surprises that will make your experience with us even more memorable. Start filling out your list of things to do in Santa Fe and reserve your room today at our Northern New Mexico Bed and Breakfast.